International Day of Peace at Norwalk Community College (Connecticut, USA)
International Day of Peace at Norwalk Community College (NCC)
On September 21, the NCC community, along with millions of people all over the world, will be celebrating the International Day of Peace. The theme for 2013 is “Education for Peace.” As stated by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, “It is not enough to teach children how to read, write and count. Education has to cultivate mutual respect for others and the world in which we live, and help people forge more just, inclusive and peaceful societies.” With these words in mind, we are planning a week of community building and educational events focusing on aspects of world peace and culminating with special speakers and activities on Saturday, September 21.
We hope you can attend some of these important events.
Egypt: Children of the Revolution
Monday, September 16 : 11:30-12:50 – GenRe Forum
Film, Egypt: Children of the Revolution, which describes the revolution in Egypt in January, 2011, through the eyes of three young activists. This will be followed by a discussion led by Professor Robert Howard that will focus on the current tragic aftermath of the Egyptian Revolution.
World Religions and Peace
Tuesday, September 17: 1:00-2:20 – Room TBA
• Presentation and discussion by Professor Ed Grippe on World Religions and Peace.
Peace in the Community – Rep. Bruce Morris
Wednesday, September 18: 11:00-12:20 – GenRe Forum
• Presentation and discussion by State Representative Bruce Morris of Norwalk on how to introduce peace into our community.
Thursday, September 19: 10-11:20 – GenRe Forum
• Interactive presentation on Conflict Resolution and Mediation by Joe Brummer, Associate Executive Director Community Mediation, New Haven.
Thursday, September 19: 11-2:00 – East Campus Atrium
• A variety of student led activities focusing on developing a peaceful world.
International Day of Peace
Saturday, September 21: 11:00-2:00 at Norwalk Community College
• Community event with a March for Peace, speakers, music, and peace-related activities
The Peace Day initiative has been planned and jointly sponsored by the Rotaract Club, the Humanitarian Peace Club, Student World Assembly, Service Learning Club, the Philosophy Club, and Student Government, with support from the Rotarian Action Group for Peace, Norwalk Rotary and Westport Sunrise Rotary.